Become a Sponge

By Michael Kline
Don’t you just love to absorb information? I suppose you’d say it depends on the subject; I hear you. As a kid in school, I paid attention in History, English, and Music; not so much in trigonometry or chemistry. Unfortunately for me, I earned a scholarship to study Chemical Engineering and Military Science. What were they thinking?!


With our children, as with our employees and applicants, we need to stop measuring only so-called aptitude and pay attention to passion. We need to stop measuring only IQ and start measuring EQ (Emotional Intelligence). When we have a passion, we can soak up knowledge like a sponge.
So, for what knowledge would you be a sponge? What information or lessons would benefit you? Not feeling passionate about learning? If you’re passionate about the benefit of the lesson, you could easily get excited about the lessons. Let me explain.
Let’s say you are passionate about buying your first house, retiring on a golf course, or whatever your goal might be. Let’s assume your work contributes toward that goal. Then being passionate about the goal, means you should be pretty excited about the work and the lessons that help you achieve more with that work. I already admitted to not really paying attention to math, but I think the equation was: if A=B and B=C, then A=C. In this case, if lessons = better pay, and better pay = goal, then lesson= goal. That’s mathematical proof. If you can’t get excited about the work that gives you your goal, you must not be very excited about your current goal.
In recent years, I’ve been trying to devour books, audio tapes, guru blogs, and as many live seminars as I can find. Here in rural New Hampshire, we don’t have much access to seminars. I suggest you take advantage of everything you can get; relax, this isn’t just self-promotion.
To prove my point of how important frequent and consistent education is, I teach my own seminar series as a service to the community. To be clear, we do charge for the seminars to cover our costs of advertising, etc. With such small class sizes, you don’t have to do a lot of math to know we don’t make a living by selling seminars. Speaking of math, when you try to calculate the return on the training investment, the results are a staggering no brainer. Kline Seminars exists to further the mission of improving the quality of life in the valley by improving the success of our small businesses. Another excellent source that is a perfect complement to my seminars is the Mount Washington Valley Economic Council’s boot-camp series. I’m looking forward to the fall lineup; from what I hear on the street, it’s going to be excellent.
Additionally, you should consider looking online for webinars or tele-seminars and buy recommended books and audio seminars on your most important topics. According to Brian Tracy (one of my favorite motivational speaker/authors), if you read a book a week, related to your field, you will have learned the equivalent of a university PhD in that field.

Finally, my best training tip ever – buy books on Audio CD’s (or download) and put them on your iPod. Now, walk an hour or more a day listening to your training programs/books. We all want to be a little healthier and we all want more time to do things like read or exercise – do them at the same time!
Become a sponge, my absorbent friend – soak up everything you can that relates to your goal in any way. You’ll quickly become unstoppable!
Michael Kline is a local retailer, success coach and trainer. He may be reached through his website, www.klineseminars.com, or e-mail, mike@klineseminars.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment